The Lodi Historical
Society was founded in 1973 after the merger of the Lodi Methodist Church with
the Lodi Presbyterian Church. Ownership was
transferred to the LHS for a nominal fee, and members of the fledgling
organization spent most of the early days repairing the building and restoring
the 1852 tracker organ, one of only three pre-Civil War organs in New York
As a result of this hard work, the Lodi Historical
Building has been listed on the National and New York State Registers of
Historic Places. The E. & G.G. Hook Organ No. 140 (1852) has been
meticulously restored and was cited as an historic organ by the national Organ
Historical Society in May 1999.
An entirely volunteer
organization, the Historical Society has continued to maintain the building and
to make improvements. The auditorium
has wonderful acoustics and is an excellent setting for the visual and performing
arts events held there each year.
In 2008 the Lodi
Museum was begun when the Village of Lodi transferred its former offices to the
LHS. The museum has grown to be a repository for donations from many current
and former residents of Lodi. The Veteran’s Memorial in the front of the LHS
building honors both Second World War veterans and those who have served since
The Lodi Historical Building is open for tours upon
request. The building seats 240 and is available for rent for weddings or large
meetings. For information call 607-582-6401, or email email@example.com.
Officers for 2015 are: Jim Covert, president;
Sharon McRae, vice president; Dottie Traphagen, secretary; and Noel Clawson,
treasurer. Trustees are Julie Clawson, Rosemary Covert, Laura
Wagner Lee, Linda Lucas, John Makai, Harry McCue, Karel Titus, Chris Willson. The trustee
emerita is Carolyn Zogg.
Jim Covert can be reached at (607) 582-6401 from
mid-May to mid-October, and at (613) 521-4997 during the rest of the year.